Hadley One Camera/Laptop Bag
All prices in British Pounds (GBP)Model Number: 588604-54
- Sized for laptops, tablets and camera gear.
- Internal built in 13 inch Laptop holder.
- Includes half length, full height removable padded insert section for CSC kit or mid-sized DSLR. Leaves half the bag free for non-camera gear (or an optional second insert). A full length insert that would fit larger cameras is an optional extra.
- Re-engineered top handle for increased comfort.
- Fully adjustable and removable shoulder sling.
- Luggage Trolley strap retainer.
- Twin dump pockets on the front.
- Rainproof zip closure on rear document pocket
- Constructed from a choice of 3-layer waterproof canvas or 3-layer waterproof FibreNyte material.
- Compatible with AVEA 7 and AVEA 8 end pockets.
- Get 10% off a Shoulder Pad when bought at same time as this bag using code 'KITBONUS'.
The Hadley One, one of the latest additions to our product line, is purpose built to take your laptop or tablet device along with a core CSC kit or DSLR body and lens combination.
Slightly larger than the Hadley Pro it features a removable, repositionable padded insert half the length of the bag to store your camera gear. In the remaining half of the bag you can place other personal items or a second insert (optional). Or of course you can take both inserts out or replace them with a different insert completely - such as our optional Full Size Insert (the full size insert also allows carrying of larger cameras such as Canon 1DX or 5D with battery grip lens down).
Another padded section stitched into the back of the main compartment provides space for a 13 inch MacBook Pro (or smaller device such as a tablet).
When we introduced a top handle to the Hadley in the Pro model, our customers loved it. We’ve bettered it continually since then and now we have arrived at a new style, introduced on the Hadley One for the first time. Leather underneath the grip adds a lot of comfort and when the adjustable sling is removed, you can use it all day as a briefcase.
On the rear, side and bottom faces we have added foam padding; not only adding increased protection for the heavier lenses and all-metal bodies that now feature in the CSC and DSLR products, but also your personal items that are carried outside the padded insert. Adding structure; the bag will look great and support everything you put in; whether you fill it or not.
The sides of the bag can fit additional external accessory pockets - the AVEA 7 and AVEA 8 (optional extras) if you do run out of space. The thick leather they attach to is the same top-grain hide we use across our product line and gives an extremely secure mount for any accessories. The shoulder sling attachment is also riveted through this part and forms a core structure of the bag.
A strap to retain the bag over the handle of a trolley suitcase when traveling was probably our most requested feature and the Hadley One has this provision. You can still access the rear zippered back pocket when it’s mounted on a trolley and the rainproof zip used there keeps the contents dry.
Like our other Hadley Bag's (apart from the Hadley Large Pro) it features the Quick Release System (at the top of the front straps) to which we have added solid brass buckles. Why both? Simple, the QRS allows you to open and close the bag quickly and securely and the buckles allow you to fine tune the ‘fit’ of the front pockets (you don't need to open the buckles to open the bag). For instance, if you have really packed in some bulky gear into one front pocket, you can just let out that side’s buckle to suit.
All our products are manufactured at our factory in England; the Hadley One has our 5 year guarantee and is built under our UI serial numbering system; helping us to track the products’ life cycle.
The bag is available in our hardwearing and water resistant canvas material that never needs reproofing, or our even harder wearing (and equally water resistant) FibreNyte fabric.
Hadley One bag with Canon 5D, insert included with the bag and optional second insert.
W410mm (16⅛") x D190mm (7½") x H275mm (11") (excluding top handle)
W410mm (16⅛") x D190mm (7½") x H320mm (12½") (including top handle)
Without padded insert: W350mm (13¾") x D120mm (4¾") x H250mm (9⅞")
Inside standard half size padded insert: W150mm (6") x D120mm (4¾") x H230mm (9") (INCLUDED)
Inside OPTIONAL full size padded insert: W340mm (13⅜") x D90mm (3½") x H230mm (9") (NOT INCLUDED)
Please note the padded inserts are flexible - it's one of the best things about the bag!:
- The 'Half Size' insert can fit items sightly bigger than the specs suggest.
- The 'Full Size Insert' can fit items a moderate amount bigger than the specs suggest - in particular it can bow out to a 'D' measurement of 120mm (4¾") at the bottom and 160mm (6⅜") at the top (at the centre).
The top flap of the insert is also flexible so you can put in items slightly taller if you need to.
Without padded insert: 8.75 litres (0.31 feet³)
Inside standard half size padded insert: 3.9 litres (0.14 feet³) (INCLUDED)
Inside OPTIONAL full size padded insert: 7.04 litres (0.25 feet³) (NOT INCLUDED)
1.38 kgs (3.04 lbs) (including removable sling and padded insert)
Front 'dump' pockets (x2):
Dimensions: W140mm (5½") x D30mm (1¼") to 80mm (3⅛") x H210mm (8¼")
Capacity: 1.4 litres (0.05 feet³)
Rear zipped pocket:
Dimensions: W330mm (13") x D Nominal x H200mm (7⅞")
Dimensions: 350mm (13⅞) x D Nominal x 240mm (9½)
PLEASE NOTE: Effective size of laptop slip will be less wide and less tall for thick laptops. Indeed it will need to be quite slim indeed to use the full width and height.
Shoulder Sling Measurements
Length: can be adjusted between 950mm (37⅜") and 1630mm (64⅛") approx.
Width: 50mm (2").
Colour of Internal Lining
|Colour of Outside of Bag||Colour of Inside Lining|
|Khaki Canvas / Tan Leather||Olive|
|Khaki FibreNyte / Chocolate Leather||Olive|
|Sage FibreNyte / Chocolate Leather||Olive|
|Black Canvas / Tan Leather||Olive|
|Black FibreNyte / Black Leather||Olive|
|Burgundy Canvas / Chocolate Leather||Chocolate|
|Navy Canvas / Chocolate Leather||Chocolate|
|Imperial Blue Canvas / Tan Leather||Orange|
Please note: Orange linings are made of a sheer nylon material with Velcro® strips - not 'brushed nylon' like our normal linings. This may limit where dividers can be placed within the bag.
- As standard the bag comes with a padded insert about half the length (but the full height) of the bag, a camera can be stored inside this and water bottle etc outside. Alternatives include:
- An extra half size Hadley One insert can be purchased to use two inserts inside the bag.
- A full size Hadley One insert can be purchased.
- A Hadley Pro insert can be used as an alternative for those who want to store more photographic gear than one insert. This is a little smaller than the available space inside the bag.
- The bottom of the bag is deeper (front to back) than the top. So internally it is 100mm deep at the top, but 120mm deep at the bottom.
Hadley One Half insert (1/2 length, full height)
- Hadley One Divider Set (for Half Insert) (1 flap style divider to go in half size padded insert)
- 'H1' Shoulder Sling (50mm wide)
- Hadley Front Straps (Unstitched)
- Drawstring bag 'Size B'
PLEASE NOTE THAT A SECOND HADLEY ONE STANDARD INSERT IS NOT INCLUDED. YOU CAN BUY ONE HERE. ALTERNATIVELY YOU CAN BUY A 'FULL SIZE' INSERT HERE.
Amateur Photographer Magazine: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/review/accessory_reviews/billingham-hadley-one-review-106345
The Phoblographer: https://www.thephoblographer.com/2020/09/17/their-most-gorgeous-bag-yet-billingham-hadley-one-review/ (the pictures show it with the optional full size insert)
What are the differences between this and the Hadley Pro?
The Hadley One is:
- Slightly larger in all dimensions.
- Has a wider shoulder sling. That sling is also removable.
- There is a special padded 13 inch laptop slip in the Hadley One. The Hadley Pro doesn't have this.
- There is a luggage strap on the back to attach to a trolley suitcase.
- The top handle has a leather lining underneath to make it more comfortable to carry.
- The Hadley One comes with an insert that fills half the bag (instead of the whole bag as with the Hadley Pro) to make it easier to carry non-photographic equipment. You can add an optional second half-size insert, or an optional full size insert instead, if you want.
- The Hadley One has a rainproof zip and leather flap to protect the rear pocket from water ingress. The Hadley Pro has a 'normal' zip and a fabric flap to protect from water ingress in the rear pocket.
What are the differences between this and the Hadley Pro 2020?
The Hadley One is:
- Slightly larger in all dimensions.
- Has a wider shoulder sling..
- There is a special padded 13 inch laptop slip in the Hadley One. The Hadley Pro 2020 doesn't have this.
- The Hadley One comes with an insert that fills half the bag (instead of the whole bag as with the Hadley Pro 2020) to make it easier to carry non-photographic equipment. You can add an optional second half-size insert, or an optional full size insert instead, if you want.
Both bags have removable shoulder slings, rainproof zippers on the back and the newer design top-handle with leather underneath.
What laptops/tablets will fit in the laptop compartment?
The following devices will fit:
- Any iPad Mini
- Any 9.7inch iPad
- Any 10.2 inch iPad
- Any 10.5 inch iPad
- Any iPad Pro 11 inch
- Any iPad Pro 12.9 inch
- Any MacBook Air 11 inch
- Any MacBook Air 13 inch
- Any MacBook 12 inch (2015 onwards)
- MacBook Pro 13 inch (late 2012 models onwards)
- MacBook Pro 15 inch with Touch Bar (late 2016 onwards)*
- Microsoft Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & X.
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 1, 2 & 3 (13.5 inch version only).
* The MacBook Pro 15 inch with Touch Bar is a tight fit, it also rises slightly higher in the bag than ideal. See the note below...
Will this bag fit a 15 inch MacBook?
Yes and no! The bag isn't designed to fit them - but the the late 2016 (with Touch Bar) model onwards is just small enough to fit in the the padded laptop slip sewn into the bag.
You should note that because of the extra size it will sit quite high in the bag - therefore it won't be quite as protected as the 13 inch version would be. Also depending how you carry the bag the 15 inch MacBook might rub against the top of the bag slightly causing wear over time that wouldn't be covered under guarantee. Having said that thought lots of customers are using the bag this way - seemingly without any problems. If doing this it might be advisable to purchase a FibreNyte version of the bag as this is more wear-resistant.
Older versions of the 15 inch MacBook won't fit at all because they are too big (you can't even squeeze them in!).
Will this bag fit 16 inch MacBook?
No - that laptop is just too wide to fit in the back pocket. You can't even squeeze it in!
Is the padded laptop area removable?
No. The padded laptop area is sewn into the back of the bag - however it is quite slim so doesn't add much bulk or weight. The bag it is not as slim as the Hadley Pro - partly because of the laptop slip and partly because of the extra depth (front to back) that we have allowed for camera gear.
Do the buckles make the bag slow to get into?
No! Hadley front straps are opened by sliding the top of the strap off the brass clogball (round stud). This is a very quick way to open and close the bag - many people learn to do this one-handed as the leather softens.
The buckle is only used very occasionally to adjust the fit of the bag. We'd recommend keeping the strap in the buckle during normal use - this keeps the straps securely attached to the bag.
You can keep the bag itself open while shooting - just don't put the straps back on the clogball until you want to close bag.
Does this bag need re-proofing to keep it waterproof?
No. The fabric is made of 3 layers - the middle layer is butyl rubber. Water cannot pass through this butyl rubber layer. As long as you don't get a hole in the fabric or expose it to harsh chemicals (for example in a washing machine) the fabric should remain waterproof for many years. There is no need to apply re-proofing.
What is the difference between 'Canvas' and 'FibreNyte'?
In simple terms ‘Canvas’ or ‘FibreNyte’ refers to top layer of fabric on our bags – the facecloth.
‘Canvas’ is a mix of cotton and polyester. ‘FibreNyte’ refers to our face fabric that is completely synthetic. Canvas is hard wearing, FibreNyte is very hard wearing.
Both fabrics are bonded to a non-wicking polyester backing fabric with a middle layer butyl rubber – this rubber layer makes both fabrics equally (and very) waterproof. Water can’t get through that rubber layer.
Both fabrics have a similar weave - the FibreNyte looks similar to canvas. Canvas is slightly softer to the touch, FibreNyte is slightly rougher to the touch.
People tend to choose Canvas if they want the bag to age gracefully and look vintage over time. This is particularly true of people who chose our ‘Khaki Canvas’ fabric as this looks particularly lovely as it ages.
People tend to choose FibreNyte if they want the bag to look newer for longer or if they are particularly hard on their gear - for example by carrying the bag to work with them every day, doing a lot of hiking or filling it particularly full. If you are buying a black bag it’s particularly worth considering FibreNyte as it will stay looking blacker longer. Also Sage FibreNyte is particularly attractive as a colour – it’s probably the most popular colour among our staff!
Do I need a shoulder pad for this bag?
The shoulder pad isn't essential but can stop the strap from digging into your shoulder if you carrying heavy equipment inside the bag or carrying it for long periods. It can also reduce the chances of the bag slipping off your shoulder if you don't wear it across the body. Remember only the 'SP20' and 'SP50' sizes fit this bag. Buying it with the bag will save the postage cost of buying it separately later.
Does this bag have a removable padded insert?
Yes this bag comes with a removable padded insert included in the price. You can take the padded insert out if not carrying cameras - this turns the bag into a great casual bag.
The padded insert included is half the width of the bag (full height). If you want a second one of these you can add it here. If you want a single padded insert that is the full width (and full height) you should purchase the 'Hadley One Full Size Padded Insert'.
What do the end pockets look like on the bags?
Here are some photos: